To Beard Or Not To Beard? That Is The Question!
Ever since the launch of our website, many customers have contacted us to seek advice on how to improve their beard growth. In this article, I will share with you five proven tips to help you in your struggle to have a fuller and lengthier beard incha Allah. #thestruggleisreal
1) Lead a Healthy Lifestyle:
The first and most important tip is to lead a healthy lifestyle! Healthy eating, excising and sleeping well all lead to healthy hair growth. Remember that it is necessary to take care of yourself because the state of your beard hair depends on the health of your body. This advice applies to all aspects of our daily life. Plus, the added benefit of leading a healthy lifestyle will not be limited to your beard!
The following are a few tips to help you lead a healthier lifestyle. Added bonus: your beard will love it!
- Food: Avoid all junk food. Yes, cheese burgers are part of that family; sorry! Instead, load up on fruits, vegetables, legumes and fish, which are excellent nutrients that enhance the growth of the beard and hair!
- Exercise: Practicing a sport or exercising also improves the growth of your beard because exercise improves blood circulation in the body, which in turn helps to promote facial hair growth. Sport is also a very good antidepressant!
- Sleep: One of the worst enemies for your beard is stress. It is considered a killer for our hair growth, even leading to hair loss in many men. Having a good night's sleep will help you fight stressors during the day and therefore improve the growth of your beard.
- Natural Soap: To wash your face, only use an all-natural soap. You do not want any chemicals near that beard; trust me! I suggest washing your face twice daily, morning and evening, rinsing with lukewarm water. One trick my barber taught me is to place a hot towel (the hottest you can take) after each wash and rinse on your face and beard for a minute to help open up the pores and promote hair growth. It also feels really good!
- Natural Scrub: Once a week, I suggest using a natural exfoliant to scrub any unwanted dead skin and release the good hair growing cells underneath. Removing dead cells from our face helps to stimulate the growth of new hair. In your daily face washing routine, preferably at night, clean your face with your natural soap, exfoliate with a natural product then use the hot towel trick I shared with you earlier. You will feel so rejuvenated in the morning and your face will clear up and let those beard hairs grow!
2) Never Give Up!
Many men lose their patience when they notice that hair growth is not as fast as they imagined. Do not lose hope and be patient! Some men can manage to have a big beard in just one month and for others it can take up to 3 to 4 months to start getting results. It all depends on our genes and our lifestyle!
It also often happens that the growth of the beard causes itching, which can last up to four weeks. It’s a good sign; it means that new hair is pushing through the skin so say alhamdulilah! To help you overcome this discomfort, you can use a beard oil, which helps to hydrate the hair and skin underneath. Choose oils that contain vitamin E, known for its antioxidant and other great benefits for the skin.
No need to look to far though, we have got you covered! Check out our beard oils here.
3) Don’t Believe the Myth: “Shaving Increases Hair Growth”
Soon-to-be bearded brother, you can now throw away your razors in the trash; they are useless! Many men still believe that shaving increases hair growth. That’s a myth that was proved wrong by several studies (see sources below) that show that it does not do any good. Instead, shaved hair is considered as biologically dead and may delay the growth. It actually irritates the skin further and causes uneven and unhealthy hair to grow. Take care of your new beard; don’t shave it off!
Peereboom-Wynia JD. Effect of various methods of depilation is density of hair growth in women with idiopathic hirsutism. Arch Dermatol Forsch. 1972; 243 (3): 164-76.
Lynfield YL, Macwilliams P. Shaving and hair growth. J Invest Dermatol. 1970 September; 55 (3): 170-2.
Mr. Trotter Hair growth and shaving. Anat Rec. 1928; 37: 373-379
RJ Seymour. The effect of cutting upon the rate of hair growth. Am J Physiol. 1926; 78: 93-8
Bulliard H. Influence of the section and shaving repeated on the evolution of the hair. Annals of Dermatology and Syphiligraphy. 1923 Series 6: 386-91
4) Eucalyptus Essential Oil
To increase the growth of the beard, you can also use eucalyptus essential oil. Before testing this tip, don’t forget to check for allergies on a small area of your skin, preferably not your face...
For this operation, mix 4 to 5 drops of eucalyptus oil in 100 ml of water and massage your hair with the mixture. Wait 10 to 15 minutes before rinsing your hair with clean water. Repeat this step every two to three days.
5) Castor Oil
For centuries, women have been using castor oil to increase the growth of their hair or eyelashes. Yes, you guessed it! It will also help enhance the growth of your beard incha Allah. This oil will strengthen your hair bulb and therefore making it stronger. Apply it on your beard once a day (ideally in the evening) and leave it on for 30 minutes, then rinse. Please remember though, it’s not a miracle product and won’t cause hair growth in hairless areas! It only enhances growth of your already existent beard hair.
I hope these tips will help you grow a fuller, healthier and lengthier beard in the coming months incha Allah. If you have other tips you want to share with me or with our soon-to-be bearded brothers, please do so in the comments below.
October 18, 2016